Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget



"Thinkin’ of those who simply went to work one day or got on a plane & lost their lives, the heroes who gave their lives in service, the families who still live with the pain, & those who survived. May God bless them all & may God bless America"~  Shannon Wilson, FB friend

Hmmm, does it seem that things have been mighty quiet this year leading up to 9/11?  Have we become complacent?   I hope not.  I will never forget.  I was in my library at school and for some reason had flipped on the television in the back office before my first class of students came in.  That's when I saw it, smoke billowing from Tower 1 of the World Trade Center, a plane had hit it.  My initial thoughts:  how tragic...how many people were on the small plane that hit it...how ironic, the same thing happened years ago to the Empire State building...I wonder how they will repair the building...we had champagne at sunset on the observation deck last time I was in New York, guess that won't be happening again...I wonder if people were in those offices yet.  Then the second plane hit and even I understood something totally out of the ordinary was happening. As the day progressed I walked around in numbness and disbelief.  As soon as I got home I dug out and proudly flew my flag.  After a day of feeling totally helpless there was power in that...that was the only statement I could make.  Eleven years later I still remember.  Thank you Shannon for your post this morning.  Simple and to the point, I could not have expressed my feelings better.  May God bless America.  May we never forget!  May we never become complacent!

No comments:

Post a Comment